Good Morning to all my @Imacookiefiend readers. I’ve been a little busier than usual these last few days, and as such haven’t posted much. I am however slowly adjusting to my new schedule and working on this balancing act that is my life.
Over the last two weeks I’ve skipped a day or two and I’m not going to lie, I immediately started thinking that maybe I should just quit because missing that day or two meant that I had failed the challenge. But then as I read through the website and one of the emails and messages that are sent out by the challenge I realized that that is precisely why they call it a challenge. It’s also why they make each meditation available for five days after its original post date. It’s because they know sometimes we get so busy and forget ourselves. We neglect the ‘Me’ time that is so vital to achieving a balanced lifestyle and the wellness we all ultimately want.
The day following my skipped session, I took a break and a long walk. I usually listen to music, but that day I just put my earphones in, no music playing, just me and my thoughts out for a stroll. I looked out at the world and smiled. from looking back at my picture I think it smiled back at me.
I stood still there for a while and was reminded of how lucky I am. I was born into a family who values me and have parents who have always encouraged me to be strong, work hard and never feel less because of my gender, race, color or any other label society might peg on me. This in it of itself is already a blessing that unfortunately millions of girls in this world don’t have.
Mindful moments usually have a way of making my “problems” seem smaller. To be honest they make me feel a little ashamed/embarrassed because at the end of the day, those things I find to be “wrong” in my life are rather trivial and pale in comparison to the real life problems other people face. Still, my own issues motivate me to overcome them, to work on myself, so that I can be better. So that I can be happy and strong enough to help myself and others which is such a rewarding feeling…I’d venture to say that it’s better than cookies 😉
Hopefully, as I work through things in the next few weeks, I’ll be able to get back into a workout routine, and cut back on this rekindled love hate relationship I have with Dr.Pepper. Somehow those 140 delicious liquid calories in that can always leave me wanting another one.
However, rather than focusing on all those hurdles and mishaps of the week, I’ve decided to make a list of the sunshine moments of the week. Perhaps you should too. You’ll be surprised at all the things you should be grateful for once you start jotting things down.
- Scary Movie Time with AG & K!
- Parents in the Caribbean enjoying life!
- Mini-Golf & dessert with O
- Movie & Catching up with my awesome friend A (You might remember her from a previous post A:10 MS:0). Not only is she generally awesome but today even more so because she just cut-off her super long hair for Locks of Love!!! A you’re totes a Supergirl! So glad I have a goodie two-shoes friend like you to balance out my medium-bad 😎
- Getting the Beary good news that my friend & favorite giant in the world is going to be a papa bear!
- Getting adorable baby I video updates from S
- Family movie night with bros
- Shopping with N
- Friendly & Happy faces @the office
- Winning a free movie ticket
- Getting a ride to work in the morning 🙂
- Still loving life after work 🙂
- Having the freedom to take a walk & enjoy life!
- Finding the most comfortable deck shoes ever!
- Maintaining weight loss
- Making time to meditate
- Buying new single digit sized pants 🙂
- Finally finding a good tailor to cut half of my pants away & hem them properly #shortgirlproblems
- Reminding myself and finding comfort in those words that my parents used to say as they tucked us in so long ago…”We love you and God is always with you”. To this day it always amazes me how powerful thought and belief can be, because those simple little words (and my teddy bear) always kept the boogeyman away 🙂
Whatever your list might be, however short or long, if you think about it, there’s always something to be grateful for. So challenge yourself to begin each day with gratitude and a smile!